I’m so excited to be giving piano lessons in Worcester, MA! As a teacher, I shape my approach to meet the needs and goals of each individual student. The time you spend with me will be friendly and fun, but also focused and disciplined, & always based on each student’s strengths and challenges. See my Teaching Resumé below. Click here to see and print out or share my Lessons Flier!
For many other entertainment, sing-along, chorus-leading, & other non-lesson services, please visit my Musical Services page !!!
I am Eagerly Accepting Students for the following Lessons:
- Classical repertoire and practicing skills, beginner- intermediate level, children and adults
- Jazz piano (as well as other popular piano styles), beginner through professional level, children and adults.
- Playing by ear, reading chord & melody “charts”, & improvising melodies & rhythmic arrangements by ear or with charts.
- Jazz vocal technique, beginning through professional level, children and adults.
- General music theory, integration of theory and performance skills, children and adults
- Songwriting, music and lyrics, beginning through professional level, children and adults
- Public performance skills (including working with ensembles or accompanists) for pianists or vocalists (take your act live!) children and adults
- Introducing very young children (ages 3-7) to music through play, composition, and exploration of the piano and other percussion/melody instruments.
- Exposing children from the pre-natal period to 5 years old to music for general developmental reasons
- Adapting any of the above for children and adults with learning, physical, developmental, or emotional challenges.
Lessons at Union Music are $30 per half-hour, $35 per 45 min. All lessons at Union Music are payable for the whole month in advance, for 4 lessons in any given month. I will make every effort to arrange “make-ups” for lessons missed occasionally and with advance notice at no extra charge. I reserve the right to use my own judgement regarding make-ups if I feel the student is taking undue advantage of this policy.
Fees for Lessons in my home studio are negotiated individually depending on the particular needs of each student, which vary widely. I can give you a quote at the end of a phone conversation. All fees payable monthly in advance. I make every effort to arrange “make-ups” for lessons missed occasionally and with advance notice at no extra charge. I reserve the right to use my own judgement regarding make-ups if I feel the student is taking undue advantage of this policy.
Tuition for lessons at any other location (for example, your home) need to be negotiated on an individual basis.
Reduced Tuition: Discounts are generally available for 2 or more friends or relatives prepared to take lessons one after the other. I can offer reduced tuition to a small number of highly motivated students for financial hardship reasons. I negotiate all discounts with students or their parents/guardians on an individual basis. Visit my Contact Page and let’s talk!
Note: my home studio is not accessible for people with disabilities that would prevent them from climbing stairs.
- 2014: Directed Yes You Chorus for people with and without disabilities who were not expected to have any musical experience = a chorus for anyone. Who, me? Yes you!
- 2012-present: Teaching classical & Jazz piano in Worcester, MA area
- 2012-present: Coaching vocalists in Worcester, MA area working towards beginning or improving public performance; accompanying, rehearsing, and coaching of soloists who are performing monthly as the “Sirens of Song” at Nick’s Worcester.
- 2002-2012: teaching fundamental musicianship to my two home-educated sons, each of whom has integrated music into his own life: Asa, 17, plays clarinet for the local band Speaker for the Dead and recently toured the Northeast and Midwest with them; Noriyoshi, 14, plays ukulele, guitar, and bass guitar with various local bands.
- 2002-2006: director, Children’s Choir, 1st Unitarian Church of Worcester
- 1996-2000: private piano teaching for adults and children in Kyoto, Japan; also incorporated choral singing into EFL teaching at university level
- 1991-1996: Music teacher, grades 7-12, and musical theater director, grades 1-12, Clonlara School (private); incorporated choral music into Religious Education Program at Zen Buddhist Temple, Ann Arbor, MI
- 1988-1990: Incorporated music into academic learning as Grade 5-6 classroom teacher; musical director for various 3rd grade and all-school productions, Swift River School, New Salem-Wendell, MA.
- 1986-1991: Private piano teaching for adults and children in North Quabbin Region (based in New Salem: students from New Salem, Wendell, Orange, Warwick)
- 1983-1986: Music teacher and musical theater director (as well as Headmaster), grades 7-12, New Salem Academy (private), New Salem, MA
- Prior to 1983: taught piano to children privately, and to fellow undergraduates through Wesleyan University Music Dept.
Piano-Vocal Performance Information:
- Currently performing every Friday 5:30-7:30pm at Nick’s Bar and Restaurant, Worcester (“Thank Friday It’s Dr. Nat”).
- Recordings of original compositions: Worcester Potholes, 2012 (Visit Shop Page!); also Vol.1 (Dharma Moon, 1993) & Vol. 2 (Bottom of the Ocean, 1995) of the American Buddhist Songbook;
- Check out my solo piano/vocal performance demo at my Video Sampler Page on this website!
- Professional vintage jazz piano and vocal entertainer 1976-present, including: hundreds of public and private engagements as a pianist and cabaret artist most regularly and recently at Nick’s Worcester, 2011-present, Harrington Farm Inn, Princeton, MA 2005-10, and Sahara Restaurant, Worcester, 2001-2004.
- Professional performance in Kyoto, Japan, 1996-2000 & throughout Western New England 1976-91.
MORE Key Information
- Doctor of Education degree from UMass related to the underlying principles governing multiple learning/developmental pathways
- Artistic Director and Co-founder, Oddfellows Playhouse, 1975-77: Directed and composed music for numerous musical productions
- B.A. in Theater at Wesleyan University 1976: Directed, composed music for, and musically directed and accompanied numerous musical productions.
- 1972-76: Approved by Wesleyan University Music Dept. to teach piano for academic credit to other undergraduate students.
- Early music education: private classical piano study 1963-70; classical piano study at the 3rd Street Music Settlement, NYC, 1971-72.
- References upon request.